Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Week 5 Days 2 and 3 Birthing Babies

I am really not as behind as you might think I am. :) The devotional Bible I am doing had yesterday for reading the introduction of Exodus and reviewing the Key Verse. Today is actually Exodus 1.

This chapter is kind of sad to me.

When I mentioned to someone that I was about to embark on Exodus 1, he immediately quoted verse 8.

"Then a new king began to rule Egypt, who did know who Joseph was."

Here Joseph had a HUGE impact on Egypt, saving the king/Pharaoh and the people from starvation during the "lean years". But now he and his brothers have been dead for a while. And he has been forgotten.

Isn't that always a fear? Will I be remembered? You hope you are leaving a legacy behind through your children, your grandchildren, your students, your friends. But in the end, after a few generations, what will I truly be remembered for?

Anyway, the new king starts to look around and realizes that there are a whole lot of Israelite people in his land. Not sure why this suddenly occurred to him, but it did. And the thought comes to mind that those Israelites could join the enemies of the Egyptians and fight them and escape their country.

Now I am not a politician, but I am kind of thinking if I don't want people to get upset and join my enemies and leave my country, then maybe, just maybe, I would be a bit nicer to them. You know, make them WANT to stay.

But then again, I am not a Pharaoh/king.

His plan was instead to make life hard for the Israelites. You know, make them slaves. Make them work. And when they keep multiplying (something they seem good at), make their lives "bitter".

Doesn't that sound like a plan?

And if that isn't enough, let's also call in the two Hebrew midwives and ask them to kill any baby boys who are born to the Israelites.

Um, okay.

Now the Hebrew nurses (Shiphrah and Puah) feared the Lord. So they let the baby boys live. When called before the king to explain why, they lied.

That has always puzzled me a bit. I have always thought God treasured honesty. And if you fear the Lord, you would be honest. But that is just me.

Anyway, their response?

The Hebrew women are strong. They birth babies quickly.

I will say, lies or not, God gave the nurses/midwives families of their own since they feared Him.

So the king's next command?

All baby boys born to the Hebrews must be thrown into the Nile River.

Apparently this is what my youngest is learning at church. He has been telling me about the king who threw babies into the river.

And that is where we stop for today.

Tomorrow's reading:
Genesis 2-4

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment