Monday, March 28, 2011

Week 6 Day 1 Passover

Exodus 11 and 12

One last time, God has a message for the king of Egypt. He (God) will be passing through the land the next day, killing the firstborn of every family, whether human or animal.

He also had a message for the people of Israel. He had very strict instructions on what they needed to do to prepare for this "passover" so that He would pass over their homes, not harming their children.

I am a little bit of a worrier, so I found myself intrigued with these directions. I think the whole time I would have been checking my list and checking it again to make sure I got it right!

Sure enough, at midnight, just as God had said, the firstborns of any child in a home not protected by the blood of an innocent lamb died. Even the king's son.

And there was a loud wail across the land.

Now he listens. The king listens. He orders Moses and his people to hightail it out of town.

And the people of Egypt who have come to respect the Israelites AND Moses agree.

In fact, they not only encourage the Israelites to leave but to take their gold and silver.

So the people of Israel leave.

430 years later.

And now a whole new set of adventures begin!

Tomorrow's reading: Exodus 13-15:21

No comments:

Post a Comment