Thursday, March 3, 2011

fWeek 2 Day 5 Faith Tested

Genesis 21-23. So...

Guess what?

God was right.

A year later, Sarah delivered a baby boy. Just like God had said she would. She and Abraham named him Isaac.

Abraham was 100 years old.

I just have to say I have often wondered how I can keep up the energy to chase my children around at my age. How on earth did Abraham and Sarah do it at their age?

It just makes me tired to think about it.

I love how Abraham had a feast on the day Isaac was "weaned". Wonder why we don't do that anymore? :)

That is where the trouble started for Hagar and her son Ishmael.

Ishmael was making fun of Isaac, and Sarah didn't like it.

Having four kids in my house, I can say that the making fun of happens a lot in our house. We are trying to cut down on it but it can happen in a moment. Can I start ordering one of them to leave over it?

Well, that is what Sarah did. She ran to Abraham and said, "He needs to go. Send them away." Well, I paraphrased that a bit. But you get the drift.

Again, I understand what Sarah must have been dealing with. A lot of guilt would be my guess. She is the one who created this situation in the first place by not fully trusting God about the whole heir thing. So I would think any time she sees Ishmael, she has to have a stab of pain in her heart. "I did that."

So how else do you get rid of guilt? Well, there is the whole confession route. Or maybe you just get rid of the cause of the guilt...or at least the reminder.

I promise I am not being judgmental. I have NO idea what I would have done in her situation. Patience has never been a strong suit of mine. Well, in some areas of life it has but as far as wanting to know what is going to happen next, next to none. That is why I read the last chapter of a book first.

Anyway, poor Hagar. Once again, she is sent packing. To the desert. No fault of her own. I actually even felt bad for Abraham. After all, this is his son too. But God told him to listen to Sarah. Again, a bit puzzling. I want to say, "God, why didn't you tell Abraham to stand up to Sarah?" But I am not God (obviously). Either way, God was there. Even as Hagar left with her son with a little food and water, God was there. He heard her crying as they wandered through the desert. And He assured her yet again that He had a plan for them.

In the next "scene", God tells Abraham to pack up and take his son Isaac up to sacrifice him.

"Um, excuse me?"

That would have been my comment.

"God, didn't you say this was my heir, that I would have many generations spring forth from this seed? How will that happen if I kill him?"

It is so obvious that Abraham has more faith than me. He didn't even question. He did what God said. He took Isaac up to the mountain. Not your little weekend family hike here. How did Isaac feel? As his dad is tying him up and putting him on an altar to sacrifice, what was he thinking? Did he have the same faith? (I also can't help but wonder if Sarah knew about it...)

Abraham had the knife in the air. Then there was the last minute stay of execution. The angel of the Lord stopped him just in the nick of time.

Whew.

Breathe it. That sigh of relief.

Abraham's faith had been tested. And he had passed.

How would I have done?

Ugh.

The last chapter (a lot going on in this passage) dealt with Sarah's death. Sarah died (at age 127) and Abraham mourned for her.

Love. Till Death do us part.

Abraham wouldn't rest until his beloved wife had a burial ground.

RIP, Sarah, RIP.

Tomorrow's reading:
Genesis 24-25:18

Reba
PS Yes, I am a bit unorthodox. And I obviously have no training. This is just my way of sorting through what I read. And keeping me accountable. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment