Thursday, March 10, 2011

Week 3 Day 4 Leaving Dodge

Genesis 31-33

I am still going to be a day behind on my posting. But I truly am caught up on my reading. I am thinking I will get caught up on Saturday when I have a bit more free time.

So this is yesterday's post written today. :)

In this passage, Jacob begins to realize that Laban and his men are becoming increasingly unhappy with Jacob's presence. He decides it is time to return to his first home. He has given his time and energy to Laban and his land, and he is getting no gratitude.

When Jacob shares his plan with his wives, they agree. They feel like their father has sold them out...literally. They get out of town.

Three days later...

Kind of curious how it took 3 days for Laban to realize that Jacob, his children, his wives, and all of the flocks that Jacob owned had left town. You would kind of think it would have been quieter around there.

Anyway, when Laban does finally come to his senses, he is on the go. Hunting them down. I am thinking that just Laban and some of his relatives moved a lot quicker than Jacob and all of those kids and the flocks because even though Jacob has a 3 day head start, Laban catches up with him.

First they go through the "niceties". You know, stuff like, "So, why are you leaving me with no warning? How come you didn't let me kiss my grandchildren first?" That kind of stuff.

But after just a few questions, Laban gets to his real concern.

Stolen idols.

He is ready to kill whoever has stolen his idols.

Wonder if he knows his sweet little Rachel was the one if his tune would change. I am not so sure it would.

Never fear though, after searching the camp, he doesn't find them. (I won't even comment on Rachel's deception using her womanly ways.)

In the end, Laban and Jacob came to an agreement. I think they basically agreed to disagree.

Laban kissed his kids. And his grandkids. Then went back home.

The next part of the story is one of my favorites. Jacob meets up with Esau. If you will remember, the last time Jacob saw Esau, Esau was planning on retaliation against Jacob. You know, the whole birthright and blessing ordeal.

So now it is time for them to meet up again.

The tension fills the air.

Jacob is anticipating bad things. He splits his camp up into two camps. That way if one is destroyed, at least there is another one safe and sound. He sends gifts ahead to hopefully "soften" his big brother up. He even wrestles with God in the middle of the night struggling with all of those feelings.

The day comes.

Can you just feel the anticipation?

So they approach. Think a Western theme here. Do you hear the music playing in the background? You know, that John Wayne type of music?

And Esau runs up to Jacob and...

hugs him.

Yes, seriously.

Not deck him. Not pull the trigger. He hugs him.

And they both cried.

Sigh.

Love this part.

Esau looks around and asks, "Who are all of these people?"

So Jacob takes a few minutes (hours) to introduce his wives, their servants, the kids, etc.

So much catching up to do!

Even better, Jacob attempts to give some of the flocks (gifts) to Esau.

I am thinking, if I were Esau, I would say, 'Thanks! That kind of makes up for the birthright and blessing you stole from me."

But Esau is a better guy than me.

He says, "No thanks. I have plenty. There is no need."

Jacob insists, and in the end Esau agrees, but not without a fight.

Jacob and his peeps hang out in that area (totally fatigued from travel) and Esau heads home.

Don't you love a good story of forgiveness?

Tomorrow's passage (which is actually today's):
Genesis 34-36

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment