Sunday, March 20, 2011

Week 5 Day 1 Burying the Hurt

Genesis 50

I am a little sad. This is the LAST chapter of Genesis. We have covered a lot of generations with just this one book. I know Exodus is exciting too but I have really enjoyed hanging out in Genesis for a while.

Anyway...

So at the end of the last chapter, Jacob/Israel had died.

This chapter starts with Joseph's reaction. He grabbed his father in a hug, cried, and kissed him. He is heartbroken.

I can't help but wonder if he doesn't feel like he is losing him once again. He lost him once (the whole thrown in the well, sold into slavery thing), then it happens again.

My heart just hurts for him.

I think it says a lot about the character of Joseph that the king not only granted permission for Joseph to go to Canaan to bury his father but sends elders from Egypt to accompany him. In fact, they made such a wailing sound that the people in Canaan renamed a place "Sorrow of the Egyptians".

Afterward, the brothers get to thinking. Now that Daddy isn't here to protect them, what if their dear brother, the one they threw in the well and then sold into slavery AND pretended was dead, decides now is the time to bring on some revenge.

True, Joseph has been NOTHING but kind to them. He took them in at a time when he most certainly could have turned his back on them. He didn't even say "I told you so" about the dreams he had once upon a time.

But apparently the brothers are feeling some guilt. And when you feel guilty, what is it natural to do? Turn around and blame the one causing the guilt even if HE is not the one guilty.

Sounds crazy, but you know we all do it.

So they decide to lie, telling Joseph that Daddy Dear did NOT want Joseph to harm his brothers in any way. In fact, they actually say that Daddy Dear said to FORGIVE them.

Lying, I kind of get. But lying about forgiveness just seems wrong in SO many ways...

And how did this hard hearted brother respond? Oh yeah, he is so tough. He cried. So do you think he was planning a revenge?

No, me neither.

In fact, Joseph gives one of my favorite responses...one I want to remember in times of trouble.

"You meant to hurt me but God turned your evil into good to save the lives of others..."

Again, I say wow. This is why he is one of my favorite characters. I want so much to be that person. And I might be. But I don't think it would be my first response...

A true family man, Joseph took care of his family until he died at 110.

Tomorrow we begin Exodus. I am not sure how many chapters...the Bible is in the other room. Just read a couple, I am sure we will be on the same page. :)

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment