Monday, March 7, 2011

Week 3 Day 2 Bless me, Bless Me

Genesis 27-28 v. 9
Oh, Rebekah. How could you mar our name like this?

Here is Isaac. He is getting old. Probably nearing death. He can't see very well.

So he talks to Esau and asks Esau to get him some food so he can give him a blessing. The blessing.

It is hard to truly grasp what that must have meant. We don't really have anything like that these days...

But Esau knew what it meant. He headed out in search of food.

Meanwhile, there is Rebekah. She overhears what is going on. She wants her son Jacob to receive the blessing.

As the mom of four, I can't quite grasp her feelings. I love all of my kids. I don't favor them (though some days I like some more than others...even that changes based on the day :). I can understand how she wants Jacob to have a blessing. I can. Who wants one of their children to be "shorted"? At the same time, I am pretty sure Esau came from her womb. So why isn't she watching out for him too? I don't get it. We share the name but not the same mindset.

Rebekah devises a plan for Jacob to receive the blessing.

Here is the part that hurts my heart.

Jacob is worried. He doesn't want to be cursed if his father discovers the deception before doling out the blessing.

And there is Mommy Dearest. She is saying she will take the curse if needed. She has a plan. Stop worrying.

I hate that she missed this opportunity to teach her son right and wrong. Not only did she not teach him but she was actually the one encouraging the deception, the sin.

And that is a shame.

You reap what you sow though. Of course, Jacob gets the blessing. And of course Esau is NOT a happy camper when he finds out. He is seeing red. And Rebekah knows that. So she has to send Jacob away for his own safety. And now her son, her constant companion in the home (or tent or whatever they lived in) cannot be there.

Oh what a tangled web we weave...

Tomorrow's reading:
Genesis 28 v 10 through Genesis 30

No comments:

Post a Comment