Friday, March 18, 2011

Week 4 Day 6 Cross My Heart...Or Maybe My Arms

Genesis 47:28-48:22

You know, when I started this blog, it was totally for accountability for me. And I have to admit, it keeps me accountable, even if it doesn't generate many comments (or readers). Just knowing that someone might read and catch me behind is enough to keep me going back. (Not that I don't love reading the Bible and learning about Him but sometimes I let other things use up my energy and time...I think it is called "priorities") Anyway, this has become one of my favorite times of day. It is good for me to work through what I have read and put it in my own terms, though I realize I am still SOOO limited in knowledge.

Anyway, Joseph's whole family is living in Goshen. In fact, they were there about 17 years when Jacob/Isaac thinks, "I am getting close to the end of this life..." After all, he is 147 at this point. So Jacob/Israel called his son Joseph to him and asked him to make a promise. You remember how they made promises? Put your hand under their leg. I still read that and wonder, "Did something get lost in translation here?" Anyway, the promise he was seeking was that Joseph would not bury him in Egypt. He wants to be buried with his ancestors.

A while later, Joseph hears that his father is sick. He takes his two sons Manasseh and Ephraim to his dad's so that he might bless them.

I thought it was interesting that Jacob/Israel counted Ephraim and Manasseh as his own sons. Then he proceeds to say that if Joseph has any more children, they will be counted as HIS children, and that any land that they have will be given to Ephraim and Manasseh. I don't completely understand all that (why the two sons received such privileges. I just have to guess it was a cultural thing or something I am totally missing. (If you know, feel FREE to enlighten me :)

So it is time to actually give the blessing. I love this part. Joseph specifically places the boys on certain sides so that Manasseh will get the blessing of the firstborn son. What does Jacob/Israel do? He crosses his arms and put his right hand on the head of Ephraim and starts the blessing. Joseph realizes this and actually tries to switch his father's hands, telling his dad that he is doing it wrong. But Jacob/Israel, even in his weakened state stands firm on the matter insisting that this is the blessing. Manasseh will be great and have many descendants. But Ephraim will be greater and his descendants will be enough to make a nation.

I always wonder how that makes the boys feel? Is there envy? Or do they just accept it as their fate?

I guess I won't know because nobody spelled that part out.

Anyway, at the end of the passage, Jacob/Israel pledges one more thing...he is giving the land of Shechem to Joseph that he took from the Amorite people.

And that is the end of that. Well, for today.

Tomorrow's passage: Genesis 49

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment