Friday, March 11, 2011

Week 3 Day 5 Family Ties

Genesis 34-36

Yes, it is yesterday's post. I am just still a step behind. Maybe I will get caught up. Maybe. :)

I am trying really hard to keep this a G-rated blog as much as is possible. However, if you have ever read the Bible at all, you know that some parts are just not G rated. So I am trying to figure out how to address that.

I don't really want to say much about the beginning of this passage other than to say it sounds like if you mess with Dinah, you mess with her brothers. They were unhappy with the course of action being taken (or rather none) and became one of the first groups of vigilantes.

The other thing I have to say is I wonder a little about Jacob. I realize he had a bunch of kids. I only have four, and it can be hard to keep up with their activities. But when all of this was going on, what exactly was he doing? Obviously the brothers felt like their father hadn't stood up for his daughter. Then he isn't even mentioned until after the brothers doled out their own penalties to the enemies. That is when you suddenly hear Jacob complaining that his children have caused him big trouble. What is up with that?

The next chapter, chapter 35, had a lot of life events all in one chapter.

Jacob had to go to Bethel (God's orders) to build an altar. Rebekah's nurse died. Jacob got a new name...Israel. (Hmmm, that sounds familiar) Rachel dies giving birth to their youngest son, Benjamin (or Son of my Suffering, depending on which parent you asked...). A lot of events all in one little chapter!

The ending of the passage involved the genealogy of both Jacob's family and Esau's family. I am not going to lie. My eyes kind of glaze over when I am reading the names, especially when I feel like I have read the same names fifty times. But I know God's word is God inspired, so for whatever reason, God wants it in there. And who am I to argue with God?

Tomorrow/Today's passage: Genesis 37.

More soon,
Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment