Saturday, March 5, 2011

Week 2 Day 6 Love at First Sight

Genesis 24-25 v. 18

Okay, okay, I am a bit behind. I just crash on Friday nights. I guess it is all of the nights I went to bed past midnight catching up with me.

But I got it read this morning. And in a while, I will read today's verses (which are short...just the rest of chapter 25).

So we start off this passage with Abraham realizing he is not getting any younger. He is looking at his son Isaac and thinking about Isaac's future. He doesn't want Isaac to marry a local woman, he wants someone from their own country. Being "very old", Abraham enlists the help of his servant. I did chuckle a little at how Abraham asked for help. For some reason, the whole "Put your hand under my leg" promise thing just tickled me. Is that similar to our "cross your fingers" we do these days?

The servant heads out, back to the homeland. I love how he is talking to God the whole time, asking for guidance. Abraham had a good servant on his hand!

Sure enough, a little bit later, a young lady comes to the well and does exactly what Abraham's servant had asked God for...she offers to give him a drink of water as well as his camels. And the servant knew..."This is the one." Wouldn't it be nice if finding the right spouse was that easy? :)

Of course, in this day and time, it is not normal to be happy to find someone within your own family to marry, but these are different times.

I am a little partial to Rebekah. It may be the whole name thing. Other than that she has a K and I have C's instead. But I like her from the beginning, even if she is far from perfect.

I like that the servant is ready to head back with her to this foreign land. Her family begs him to let her stay just a little bit longer, but the servant is ready to go back now. The family gives the choice to Rebekah who says she is ready to go. Now.

Okay, that must not be a name thing passed down. I would be the one saying, "Give me just a few days to finish up some things around here..." Maybe if I had a "K" in my name I would be different. :)

The servant and Rebekah head back to Abraham's home. As they approach, they see Isaac walking toward them. I love Rebekah's reaction. She jumped off the camel and asked who that was approaching.

Love at first sight.

All together now..."Awwww..."

So they were married.

The last part of the passage discusses Abraham's death. Abraham died at age 175...after re-marrying and having even more children. Whew!

I was a bit surprised to see that both Isaac and Ishmael buried Abraham. I had been wondering where Ishmael disappeared to. Now I know that he was still around somewhere.

The very end of this passage (part of chapter 25) indicates that Ishmael's descendants often attacked the descendants of his brother.

Sibling rivalry?

More to come,
Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment