Friday, March 25, 2011

Week 5 Day 6 Shoo Fly

Exodus 6:28-8

Let the games begin!

Again, at God's urging, Moses goes to the king and asks that God's people be allowed to leave to worship their God.

And again, as will become a theme, the king says, "No way, Jose."

So now it is time to bring out some "signs of the time".

First up: Aaron throws his rod/staff to the ground where it becomes a snake in front of the king. Let me just say as a not so much snake fan, I would have been done at that point. But I wasn't there. Instead, the king just calls in his magicians and "wise men" who quickly do the same thing. The part I love? The staff/snake of Moses/Aaron ate the staff/snake of the magicians. You kind of think that would have been a sign. Guess not.

I think this is a good time to note that the magicians were able to do SOME of these "signs" too. So it isn't so improbable to me that some people can do things that should not be humanly possible. At the same time, being able to doesn't mean they should or that I should follow along...

Anyway, next in line: The water turns to blood. Ick! Can you imagine the whole Nile turning to blood? Stinky! And the kings' magicians come in and do the same thing. I was kind of puzzled how they knew it worked when they did it since Aaron/God had already turned all of the water to blood. What was left? Anyway, I feel kind of bad for the Egyptians. They can't help it if they have a hard hearted leader who is causing trouble by not listening to God.

Next up: Frogs. Frogs everywhere. I have tried to fathom this. I can't imagine opening up my pot and finding a frog in my soup. Or reaching for the shampoo in my shower and grabbing a frog by mistake. To make matters worse, the magicians try the same thing and add TO the frogs. Yet they can't make them stop. Only Moses/Aaron can do that (with God of course). Then they have dead frogs everywhere. Yuck!

Next: The Gnats. How annoying to have little gnats everywhere. This time the magicians couldn't do anything. They even told the king that it was the power of God that had done this. Nope, the king won't budge.

Next in line: Flies. Okay, I can barely handle having one or two flies in the house. They drive me crazy buzzing around, teasing me, as I chase them with my fly swatter. And this time God keeps the flies confined to the Egyptian homes. The Israelite people are fly free. Again, the king extends a plea for help in getting rid of the flies. Moses/Aaron relent and again the king's heart is hardened.

Hmmm, wonder what will happen tomorrow?

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment