Saturday, March 12, 2011

Week 3 Day 7 My Three Sons

Genesis 38

Okay, this is one chapter that is really going to be hard to report on and keep this G rated. I will do my best.

Basically, in a nut shell (notice the words of procrastination), Judah gets married (I am presuming after Joseph became a slave) and has three sons. I am not sure what was going on with Judah's family but apparently two of the sons made God kind of angry. The oldest one was killed BY God...doesn't specify other than saying he was evil. Judah passes that son's wife onto son 2 who is not interested in being a part of all of this (not totally sure I blame him) and God strikes him dead too!

I am pretty sure at this point, Judah is feeling a bit antsy. He promises son 3 to Tamar (the wife of Judah's son) but then puts off the actual wedding. Meanwhile, Tamar is sent away to just wait for son 3.

Tamar decides to take matters into her own hands. I cannot imagine how her self esteem must have been at this point. I kind of feel sorry for her.

Since Tamar is obviously not getting son 3, she goes for the dad in law. That is all I will say about that.

It is interesting to me that when Judah gets word that Tamar is expecting, he is ready to have her burned to death...until she brings up a couple of personal belongings identifying the babies' father. Then he changes his tune. Great...now I have the whole Star Wars thing going on in my head. "Babies, I am your father" (said in a Darth Vader voice of course :)

In the end, Tamar delivered twins who seemed to be fighting to get out first. One was named Perez, the other Zerah.

Tomorrow's reading: Genesis 39 and 40

No comments:

Post a Comment