Friday, April 29, 2011

Week 9 Day 5 To Do List

Numbers 3-5

Numbers 3
This chapter explains the tribe of Levi and their connection to the priesthood. I have to admit, I was a little confused knowing Aaron was the head priest. I kept trying to figure out what he had to do with Levi's tribe. But this chapter cleared it all up.

God appointed Levi's tribe to be His servants through the priesthood. They were responsible for the Holy Tent, moving all of the supplies, etc.

It was interesting to note that while all of the other tribes only recorded their males 20 years and older, the Levites counted all firstborn sons ages one month and older.

It was also interesting to note that God "claimed" the Levites. "The Levites are mine. I am the LORD." He "took" the firstborn of the Levites rather than the firstborn of the other Israelites, and even their firstborn animas became "His". I had never noticed that before. A substitution. Reminds me of a story I read later in the New Testament...

Chapter 4
In this chapter, God lays out specific roles for different families of the Levites.

The Kohathites were responsible for the most holy things in the Holy Tent. However, only Aaron's family could actually look upon these things and tend to them. Once they had done that, the Kohathites transported these things. Carefully. If they touched the most holy things, they would die. Talk about job stress!

The Gershonites had a job at the Meeting Tent...they had to carry the curtains. LOTS of curtains which sounded really heavy. I am guessing that is why they only used the men between the ages of 30 and 50.

The Merarite family also had a big job. Their job was carrying the frames, the crossbars, the posts, etc. What a workout that must have been!

I am beginning to see why this book is called numbers. There are a lot of them in there...

Chapter 5
We are reviewing some of the rules in chapter 5 like about cleanliness and paying back those we have wronged.

One of the things that stuck out to me in this chapter was that God said when we wrong another person, we are actually sinning against God. I think we forget that sometimes. We are quick (well, sometimes) to tell others sorry but do we do the same for God? We sinned against Him with our treatment of the other person...

The chapter ends with some statements about a jealous husband and what he should do if he suspects his wife is having an affair. Very interesting. For some reason, I don't think I have ever read these verses before tonight. And even after reading them tonight, I am not sure what to think...

Things that make you go hmmm...

More tomorrow (as in Sunday since I am finishing this Saturday night). I know, I know, I am a day behind. I have been out of pocket.

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment