Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Week 9 Day 2 The Pros and the Cons...

Leviticus 26-27

I have to confess...I am a little excited that Leviticus is almost over. I am ready to not talk about slaughtering animals. At the same time, I know it is important to read these things and remember the whole point of Jesus' death on the cross. I also know that Numbers isn't always fun to read either. But either way, I must read.

Having said that, chapter 26 may be one of my favorites yet.

And not just because there are not details about killing animals.

I just love the way it reads. So many cool word pictures. Very clear language on what the people should do. My kind of verses...

First of all, I love how God compares what will happen to the people if they LISTEN to him and follow His (many) rules versus not listening and obeying.

Let's think about this:
Obey= good rains, abundant crops, safety and peace, many children, and kindness from God

Disobey/turn away= disease, defeat by their enemies, wild animals, crops not growing, hunger

Which would you choose?

Some of my favorite word pictures:
One of the punishments that God will dole out for disobedience is that He will make the sky like iron and the land like bronze...meaning no rain will fall nor will anything grow.

Those who turn away from God will lose courage in the land of their enemies. He said that even the people would be "frightened by the sound of a leaf being blown by the wind..."

Aren't those neat? Precise?

My favorite part is the end of 26. God tells Moses that if the people who turned away confessed their sins and took their punishment, He would remember the land, remember the people, and remember the promises He made.

Hope.

I cling to it, don't you?

Chapter 27
More rules, specifically about gifts and values of animals, land, etc.

The part that stuck out most from this chapter is that this is where the whole tithing thing began. 10 percent.

That is about all I can do tonight. I am wiped out.

I am betting tomorrow is the first 2 or 3 chapters of Numbers.

I guess we will see!

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment