Saturday, April 2, 2011

Week 6 Day 7 An Eye for an Eye

Exodus 21 and 22

You would kind of think the 10 commandments would cover everything. I mean, they are all pretty broad. But we are dealing with humans here. And while the 10 commandments should adequately cover everyday life, we humans want more. We want specifics. We want to know exactly what to do in certain situations.

That is what these two chapters (and more to come) deal with.

It gives very specific examples about crime and punishment, slavery, moral and ethical issues, etc.

Don't worry. I am not going to rehash them.

I am much too tired.

I am just going to give my favorite one (favorite as in the one I wanted to stand up and say "woohoo" to!).

It is found in Exodus 22.

Verse 21.

Do not mistreat or oppress a foreigner, for you were foreigners in Egypt.

I won't go into a long discourse about this one...I have actually been writing a blog post in my mind around this very theme (even before reading it).

I will just say that sometimes we need to be reminded about this.

Even if we weren't actually foreigners in Egypt.

I have no idea what tomorrow's reading is...I guess I will have to take a look. Later. I am tired.

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment