Saturday, April 16, 2011

Week 7 Day 5 Radiant

Exodus 32-34

I know, I know, I am behind two days now. I was up until about 2:30 this morning decorating a birthday cake then up bright and early to get lunch prepared (ahead of time) before attending a funeral then having Joshua's party. Excuses, I know, but I didn't really get to do much else last night. I will get caught up this week, I hope. Life will surely slow down, right?

I have to admit, though I treasure all of God's word, I was ready to be done with measurements and rules/regulations for a bit. I just don't think that way.

Then I get to today's reading which is more of the history of the Israelites.

It might be easier to break this down by chapters:
Exodus 32

So Moses has been hanging out on the mountain for a while with God. And now the people get restless. They go to Aaron and ask him to give them "gods who will lead them".

Aaron is not a tough sell.

He makes a golden calf.

I don't even see him put up a fight.

And he is supposed to be the high priest?

I have to admit. I read this and think, "Seriously, People, do you not remember all God did for you? Didn't you watch Him bring plague after plague upon Egypt? Didn't you see him part the waters so you could escape the Egyptians? Hasn't He provided manna for you to eat each day? What are you thinking?"

A lot of questions, few answers.

Except I know.

I know God does a LOT for me and yet I still find myself wondering, "God, are you there?" Or I let myself get distracted with other things.

So here Moses is on the mountain with God. And God is the one who tells Moses what exactly the people are doing.

Moses goes to see for himself.

I am sorry. I just cannot read this section without thinking of the movie. Charlton Heston. The Ten Commandments.

I just can't see it any other way. When I picture Moses, I picture Heston.

And this scene is the heart of the whole movie.

Moses comes down from the mountain and is steaming mad. He throws those tablets down in anger.

Point made. For now.

Chapter 33
The thing that stood out the most in this chapter was something that God said.

"I will not go with you, because I might destroy you on the way since you are such a stubborn people."

Whew. He is not happy.

Can you blame Him?

Think the people are getting the idea?

NOT happy.

Chapter 34
God and Moses again meet upon the mountain. God again lays out His commandments and rules/regulations regarding many things such as the feasts, sacrifices, offerings, etc.

I like how God describes Himself as He passes by in front of Moses.

"I am the LORD. The LORD is a God who shows mercy, who is kind, who doesn't become angry quickly, who has great love and faithfulness, and is kind to thousands of people. The LORD forgives people for evil, for sin, and for turning against him, but he does not forget to punish guilty people..."

Then Moses comes down from the mountain.

Now, remember, Moses wasn't allowed to look at God directly (or he would die) but he saw the back of God as He passed by.

Just from that little glimpse, Moses is changed.

He comes down from the mountain, and he is radiant. As in shiny. His face is so shiny from seeing the goodness of God. It is so shiny, the people are scared to even look at him.

That is what I want. I want to meet with God each day and walk away radiant with His love.

Meet me, God. Meet me.

Reba
Tomorrow's reading: Exodus 35-38

No comments:

Post a Comment