Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Week 11 Day 6 On the Road Again...and Again...and Again

Numbers 33-36

I really am trying to stay on track with my reading. But this time of year, my nights are hit and miss. And having storms every night with tornado potential doesn't help!

Let's see...four chapters tonight.

Chapter 33
This chapter is mainly a recap of the many places the Israelites had camped since leaving Egypt.

A lot.

They were a very mobile people.

The thought of moving that much, even with tents and fewer personal items, makes me tired. I don't like moving. I like staying in one place. I can kind of see why those people grumbled so much. I would to if I kept moving like that.

The end of the chapter is the most sobering. Basically God tells Moses to tell the people that when they move into Canaan, they are to force out all of the people living there and get rid of ALL idols and places of worship. If not, they (the Israelites) will be punished in the same way the other people would have been.

Ouch.

Chapter 34
In this chapter, God tells the Moses to tell the people what the borders of their new land would be. He also chooses the leaders who will choose lots to divide up the land among the tribes.

Chapter 35
This chapter has two parts. The first part is about land that belongs to the Levites, including making "safety cities". I had never noticed that before. That relates to the second part which is about murderers. Intentional murderers were to be put to death where accidental murderers were to stay in the cities of safety until the priest died. A little confusing, I confess. And not as much fun to read. But it was part of establishing rules and guidelines for the new land.

Chapter 36
This chapter was dedicated to the daughters of Zelophehad who were to inherit some land. The tribe wanted to make sure the land stayed in the tribe if they were to marry. So God said they could marry BUT they would have to marry within their own tribe so the land would stay within the tribe rather than be given to other tribes. A bit interesting again, but I suppose it made sense to the people!

Tomorrow's reading: Deuteronomy!

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment