Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Week 11 Day 2 Girl Power

Numbers 26-27

Sorry I have been MIA. I have been knee deep in tulip bulbs. Long story but they have consumed my life for a couple of days. :)

So in Numbers 26, it is Census time again. Time to count the people. Makes me think of the commercials of the tired guy, "Time to make the donuts".

Anyway, Moses was told to count the people again (right after the sickness that was all over the camp). It is interesting to note that at this point, the people he is counting are not the same people he counted in the last census.

As I was reading this chapter, I noticed something I hadn't seen before in previous census counts. Women. Usually women are not mentioned in this manner. Yet in this list, one man's daughters are listed (there were no brothers) and another woman is mentioned. I was kind of surprised.

Even more, in chapter 27, Moses is told to dive the land according to the tribe's numbers. The man I mentioned in the previous chapter had died earlier. His daughters came to Moses and requested that they get his fair share of the land. Moses took it before God who agreed that was right.

I think we often think that God is partial to men.

But to me, these chapters say otherwise...

Oh, the end of chapter 27...Joshua becomes leader of the people. It is time for Moses to pass on the baton.

Not sure on the next reading. I guess I will look tomorrow. :)

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment