Thursday, January 10, 2013

Week 19 Days 1 and 2 God Heard

Introduction to 1 Samuel and Samuel 1:1-2:11

So here we are in 1 Samuel. 

I really enjoyed the introduction.  First of all, we aren't exactly sure who wrote the book.  It could be Samuel. Or it could be someone else.  The next thing the introduction pointed out was that the book of 1 Samuel is full of strong beginnings (Eli, Samuel, Saul) and really bad endings.  It isn't how we start a race, life is about how we end the race.  Good words to remember!

So, 1 Samuel 1 through 2:11.

There was a man.  His name was Elkanah.  And that ma had two wives.

I have to say I am impressed that any of those guys had more than one wife...who has time for that?

Anyway, Elkanah's wives were Peninnah and Hannah.

Peninnah had children.

Hannah didn't.

Every year Elkanah went to Shiloh to worship God and offer sacrifices.  Then he would share the meat (of the sacrifice) with his wives.

Each year during this time, Peninnah would basically taunt Hannah about the fact that she (Peninnah) had children and Hannah didn't.

I don't know Peninnah, but just from what I read, it is hard not to question.  Hard not to wonder why God would allow that to happen.  Why would he bless her with these children and not his faithful servant Hannah?

I don't know.

I have never really struggled with infertility (that I know of :), but I know several people who have.  And I know that it would have to be very painful to have someone repeatedly remind you that you don't have the one thing you are longing for.

And it was.

Painful that is.

Hannah was hurt.

Elkinah, bless his heart, would try to comfort her.  He would ask her if he wasn't more to her than having ten sons. 

I am sure he was trying to be sweet. 

I am sure he was.

But I am thinking that wasn't comforting the ache in Hannah's heart. 

Not to mention, wasn't Hannah enough for Elkinah? Why did he insist on having another wife?  Especially one who doesn't seem particularly nice?

But that is beside the point.

Anyway, one time Hannah was really upset by these words.

So she went near the entrance of the Lord's house.

And she prayed.

One of those move the mouth prayers.  No sounds but lips moving. 

And knowing how hurt she was, I am guessing Hannah was rather animated in her prayer.  I can just picture her eyes red from crying.  Her lips moving but no sounds coming out. Her hands gesturing.

Eli, the priest, looked at her and thought she was drunk.

In fact, he told her to lay off the wine.

She quickly set him straight.

She wasn't drunk on wine. Just the spirit.

She was praying.

Not just praying.

She was vowing. She vowed to not cut the hair of her child (should she ever have one).  She vowed to return him to God if He would provide.

Eli gave her a blessing and she left.

And lo and behold, shortly afterwards she became pregnant.

And little Samuel ("God Heard") was born.

And when Samuel was old enough, Hannah kept her vow.

She returned the child to the Lord (via Eli).

I wonder if she had any more children.

I would like to think she did.

But I really don't know.

All I do know is that I admire Hannah.

She made a vow and she kept it.

The others in 1 Samuel may not finish well.

But Hannah did.

Reba
Tomorrow's reading: 1 Samuel 2:12-3:21


No comments:

Post a Comment