Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Week 19 Day 6 Fair Warning

I Samuel 8

No, I haven't fallen off the bandwagon.

We were out of town (a quick "long" trip) then we came back to a busy schedule.

But the important thing is I am here now. :)

So, I Samuel 8.

Samuel is now an old man.

I know, I know. It seems like just yesterday  Samuel was a little guy being dropped off with Eli.

And now he is an old man.

I am not being ugly. The Bible actually uses those words.

Now, much like Eli, Samuel has two adult sons (well, they are now) and much like Eli's sons, these sons don't exactly follow God.  In fact, they kind of do what they want.

And the people noticed.

They confronted Samuel.

Then they asked for a king.

Seems like an innocent request, right?

It wasn't.

Because apparently (according to God), asking for a king was just one more step away from trusting in God.

God wasn't happy.

HE is the King.

The King of Kings.

He was all the people truly needed.

But the people insisted.

Samuel asked God what to do, what to say.

And God basically told Samuel that if that is what the people want, that is what the people get.  I love how God also added, "They haven't rejected you.  They have rejected me."

I also love that God pointed out all of the bad things that will come from having a king.

And Samuel relayed that to the people.

And what did the people say?

"We want a king!"

Oh well...they have been warned!

Reba
Tomorrow's reading:  I Samuel 9-10


No comments:

Post a Comment