Monday, January 7, 2013

Week 18 Day 6 Underfoot

Ruth 3

I seriously have considered just dropping this blog. I don't think anyone would notice.  And I am obviously behind.  Major behind.  But the more I thought about it, I just couldn't.  Even if not another soul ever reads this, going through the Bible chapter by chapter is really good for me. It gives me the opportunity to not just read the words but to really digest them, to chew on them, to hide them in my heart.

So I am back.

I want to promise it will be for every single day until I finish this never-ending project.

But I won't promise that.

I will promise to try though.  To try to be more committed to reading God's word.  To be more faithful in studying the God He is.  To truly take time to listen to Him.

So, tonight my dear daughter and I are having our "quiet time" together though with a pre-teenager, I am not sure there is every truly a "quiet time". :)

I just hopped right back where I stopped.

Ruth.

The last time I shared, Ruth and Boaz were doing what I call "the dance".  There was something a brewing between the two of them.  Thankfully their relationship moved much quicker than I did on recording it. :)

So Naomi must have noticed that there is something going on with Ruth.

I can't help but wonder, was Ruth going around the house whistling?  Was her face all aglow? Or did she even have those thoughts?  Maybe her only thoughts were about taking care of her mother-in-law.  I guess I will never know.

But for whatever reason, Naomi saw an opportunity.

She advised Ruth to clean herself up, put on perfume, put on different (clean) clothes, and go to where Boaz was.  When Boaz laid down to sleep, she told Ruth to slip in under the cover by his feet.

I know, it made me giggle too. 

His feet???

Ewww!

But even without my little Bible notes, I already knew.  This was a sign of servanthood.

So, Ruth does everything to a T that Naomi advises.

And sure enough, Boaz laid down, and Ruth slipped in by his feet.

Imagine his surprise when around midnight, he rolled over and found a woman by his feet!

I am thinking he was a bit dazed and confused. 

"Who are you?"

I think I would have wanted to sink into that ground.  Or at least dive into the pile of grain nearby.

But not Ruth.

She was very honest and straight forward.

She just told him who she was and then asked him to cover her. I don't think she meant with a blanket but rather in life. 

"You are a relative who is supposed to take care of me."

Wow.

To the point!

Now Boaz was a gentleman. He thanked her. He blessed her.  He complimented her.

But then he told her the not so good news.

There was another relative closer than him.  And that guy had first dibs.

He would have to pay him a visit.

So the next morning, in the wee hours, Ruth slipped home with more grain for her mother-in-law.

And then the waiting began.

I wonder how she felt during that time.

Was she holding her breath in anticipation? Did she pace the floor? Did she just pray? Or did she keep herself busy with household chores?

Tick tock, tick tock...

Tomorrow's reading:  Ruth 4

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment