Saturday, January 12, 2013

Week 19 Day 3 A Call in the Night

1 Samuel 2:12-3:21

I could think of nothing clever for my title today.  I know, that isn't even really what my focus should be on. But usually these things come to me.  (At least they are clever to me :)  Tonight, nothing.

But that is not to say I didn't learn something from today's reading.

I did.

Some things I knew.

Eli had some sons who worked with him in the priesthood.  Well, they were in the priesthood by name.  And name only.  They just didn't care about the Lord. They preferred more earthly things.  Things like food and women. 

Obviously, God wasn't too pleased with this.

In fact, He was rather displeased.

He actually sent some unnamed man of God to tell Eli how very unhappy He was.

He wasn't just unhappy with Eli's sons.  He was unhappy with Eli.

"You honor your sons more than me."  (verse 29)

Ouch.

I would think that would be painful for a priest to hear. 

I am also kind of thinking that as a priest and a father, I would be changing some things if I knew God was watching and not very happy about what He saw.

But then again, I am not Eli.

Then you have Samuel. 

Samuel is growing up in the Lord's house with Eli. 

(Sidenote:  Samuel's mom and dad came to Shiloh each year for the sacrifice and got to visit with Samuel.  They even brought a coat for Samuel.  And God did bless Hannah and Elkinah with more kids.  Five more followed...)

Okay, back to Samuel. 

Samuel is growing and maturing. 

And he is a big contrast to Eli's sons. 

He obeyed the Lord.

He was pleasing to the Lord.

He was faithful to the Lord.

The heart of the story (to me) is the night God called to Samuel in bed.

Samuel is sleeping when the Lord called his name.

I can just imagine how dazed and confused he must have felt.

I mean, I am like that any time I am awakened.

Like the night this week I woke up to find a child staring at me.  He just wanted to share with me that his knees hurt.  In the middle of the night.  Sigh.

So Samuel, in his dazed and confused state, ran to Eli.

And Eli, much like I would have, said, "Go back to bed."

So Samuel did.

Until he heard his name again.

He went running to Eli.

And again, Eli said, "Go back to bed."

I wonder if he said it with that exasperated tone I would have used.

Or maybe he was nicer than me.

The third time Samuel came running, Eli was more awake, more aware.  He realized what was going on.  And he told Samuel to go back and listen...God was calling.

So again, Samuel heard his name.

And this time, he replied, "Speak, LORD, I am your servant and I am listening."

I love that.

Isn't that how we should always respond if/when God calls?

Speak, Lord.  I am your servant. I am listening.

Not "Are you sure that is what you want me to do?"

or "God, I need some kind of proof..."

or "Can't you see I am already busy doing your work?"

Nope, none of that

Speak, Lord, I am your servant. I am listening.

Tomorrow's reading:  1 Samuel 4-5

Reba


No comments:

Post a Comment