Sunday, January 27, 2013

Week 19 Day 7 Long Live the King

1 Samuel 9-10

In our last reading (well, my last reading), the people of Israel were demanding a king.  Much to God's dismay.  Well, I don't know if God is really dismayed. But it was NOT for God or His plan.  However, the people were demanding, so God agreed.

In this passage, Saul is just a young man, the son of a "fine man" named Kish.  Well, the donkeys of Kish come up missing.  Do donkeys just wander off?  Anyway, Kish sends Saul out in search of them.

So Saul searches.  Everywhere. No donkeys.

But lo and behold, he runs into the "seer".  The seer named Samuel.

Now Samuel is not surprised to see Saul at all.  God has been chatting with Samuel.  God told Samuel that this was him...the king of Israel.

So Samuel and Saul dine together then Samuel tells Saul what God has shared with him.

And then he sends Saul on his way.

I wonder what Saul was thinking at this point.  Did he believe it? Was he scared?  Did he want to go tell the world?

I am not really sure, but I do know that Saul played it cool.

In fact, later when Samuel stopped by to "select" the king, Saul actually hid!

When Samuel called him out and announced his new title, Saul stepped out.  I love that the verses keep mentioning how tall Saul is...he is a head above the others.

And almost immediately, the people proclaimed, "Long live the king!"

Well, most.

Some were not happy with the choice.

And thus the dissension begins...

Not sure on tomorrow's reading because my Bible is out of reach (and I have a pup on my feet).  I am going to guess I Samuel 11 and 12.

Happy reading!
Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment