Thursday, July 7, 2011

Week 13 Day 3 Going Green

Deuteronomy 19-20

This passage deals with a few topics like safe cities (which is where an Israelite could run if they accidentally killed someone to escape the wrath of the family), witnesses (one witness for a crime was NOT enough; there had to be two or more), and laws for war.

A couple things stood out from these two chapters.

God (via Moses) told the people to go out to war and not worry if they saw chariots and horses and an army bigger than them; he was with them. That makes sense.

I did get a bit tickled though in the next few verses because the officers were then to ask if anyone had a new home or was engaged or was afraid...if so, they had permission to leave the battle and go home. I don't know why, but that whole thing seemed full of irony to me.

The other part I thought was interesting was that the people were commanded to NOT cut down the fruit trees around cities they were attacking. They could eat the fruit but NOT cut the trees down. After all, their (the Israelite's) beef was with the people, not the trees. However, non-fruit trees could be cut down to make devices to attack the city walls.

I can't really say why that stuck out to me but it was just something new I hadn't read...and it did make me giggle a little. :)

Tomorrow's reading:
Deuteronomy 21-22

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment