Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Week 13 Day 2 Excuses, Excuses

Deuteronomy 16-18
I don't know why I am having a hard time keeping up with my reading this summer. I think part of the reason is Deuteronomy (thus far) is just so much repetition. God is having Moses remind the people of many of the things He has already shared with them. And not that it isn't "good stuff". I think if I were just reading it, I could do it. It is the attempt to blog on something I have already blogged on that I am having a tough time with! The other reason is that I have a hard time finding my routine in the summer. You would think this would be the ideal time to study the Word but our schedule is all over the place with trips out of town, day outings, camps, etc.

I know.

Excuses, excuses.

Today's reading which I actually started a week or so ago is a review of the feasts (when, where, why). It also talks a lot about getting rid of evil in their land. Interestingly evil does not refer to things like theft and murders, though there are consequences for that. The "evil" refers to the worshiping of things other than God, like the sun and the moon. I also found it interesting that God told the people to respect the judge's decisions in cases like murder, theft, etc. It is kind of ironic reading that after the HUGE outcry I saw on the news and on FB regarding a decision made yesterday in a high profile case.

But what really stuck out to me in this passage involved the king that the people would choose one day. God gave some qualifications for the king, such as that he had to be from among the people (not a foreigner), couldn't own too many horse, and couldn't have too many wives (so he could keep his focus on his job at hand). Another requirement? The king had to write out (himself) the commands of the Lord from a copy taken from the priests. He was to keep it with him at all times and read it daily. Why? To learn to respect the Lord and to keep His commands. Wow. That is a huge job but what an impact that would make, not only for the king but for the people he leads!

Tomorrow's reading (and I am really going to try to stay on track the rest of this week): Deuteronomy 19 and 20.

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment