Thursday, December 22, 2011

Week 16 Days 4 and 5 Slow Fade

Introduction and Judges 1-2:5

I apologize for the time lapse in posts. I will not lie. This part of the OT is just not my favorite part. I know it is God inspired. It is important to read. But it is not easy for me. Wars. Taking over cities. Ick. Still makes my stomach turn.

However, it wasn't the many battles that caught my attention in today's reading.

It was the disobedience.

I guess I can relate.

God was very clear with the Israelites.

They were to go in, take over the land (their Promised Land), and told to NOT make agreements with the people in those lands.

I know it sounds harsh.

But I think we all know.

Compromise.

It can be a good thing, but it can also be a bad thing.

And this case, it was the bad thing.

One of my favorite Christian contemporary songs is "Slow Fade".



Ignore the advertisement at the beginning.

Anyway, that is how so much sin is.

We don't get up each morning thinking, "Let's sin today".

Instead we compromise.

We give in just a little.

The next day a little more.

And the next thing we know we are sinning. Completely.

Kind of reminds me of that analogy of boiling a frog.

You put a frog in a pot of water and turn the temperature up just a little bit at a time. It will get used to it, so you do it some more. Before long, you have a boiled frog. I don't know why you would want a boiled frog but it is one of the things I remember from youth group MANY years ago.

Anyway, this all is related to the Israelites.

I doubt they thought, "Let's sin today."

I think they thought, "Let's compromise. We can let these people live here too. We don't have to completely rid the land of this group...it is just a few people."

Whether or not we understand, it was against what God commanded. And there would be consequences for that.

It was a slow fade.

They gave their heart away.

Black and white turned to gray.

It was a slow fade.

Tomorrow's reading: Judges 2:6-3:6

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment