Sunday, December 18, 2011

Week 16 Day 2 Altar Call

Joshua 22

I have finally settled one of my reasons I haven't posted much. My Bible has a schedule in it that I follow. But when I actually read, I usually read that version (New Century Version) on a computer Bible page. That page doesn't have the schedule. Most of the time when I post, it is late at night and the lights are off. Then I can't see the schedule in the Bible. So I just do other things. Lame, I know. But I am trying to fix it. I have put a two week schedule ON MY COMPUTER. So I have no excuses. At least for two weeks. :)

More than you ever wanted to know...

Anyway, today's reading.

It is about the tribes of Gad, Reuben, and East Manasseh.

They were ready to go home. Their home. The land they had been given by Moses years before.

It was time.

So Joshua gave them their blessing, reminded them to obey God's commands.

So those tribes went home.

And once they were settled in, they built a beautiful altar.

Which made the other Israelites angry. Angry enough to be ready to fight them.

Before things came to blows, Phineas (I cannot help but think of the cartoon Phineas and Ferb or however it is spelled) was sent to talk to the "wayward" tribes. An ambassador of sorts.

You see, the other Israelites felt like the altar was built for false gods. That the 3 tribes had already turned against God.

Phineas asked the 3 tribes to explain themselves.

They were surprised. I guess it never occurred to them that their actions would be misconstrued. They explained that it was an altar for God and God alone.

Phineas was satisfied, and in the end, the other Israelites were satisfied too

I wish life were like this.

That we had ambassadors who would find out the perspective of others before we (in the general sense "we") declared "war".

Because sometimes it is a misunderstanding.

Sometimes, most of the times, we need to listen before we act.

Tomorrow's reading: Joshua 23 and 24

No comments:

Post a Comment