Monday, February 28, 2011

Genesis 13-14: Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

These verses have always struck me. Look how selfless Abram was. He and his nephew Lot just grew too big in numbers to continue living on the same land. It was time for them to part. So they are standing outside, looking out at the land around them, and Abram gives Lot first choice on where he would like to go.

Now, if you have children, you know who gets first choice. It is the child with the most interest in whatever you are giving. Just last night, we were making cupcakes. My main chef wanted to choose ALL of the cupcakes she wanted to decorate first. Nice for her, not so much for the others. (We ended up passing them around the table so each child could choose one to decorate.)

Yet here is Abram, and he seems genuinely like it doesn't matter to him. Even though he has worked so hard to earn what he has, Abram lets Lot choose first.

Lot, being like most of us, looked around and saw a land of plenty. And immediately, he snatched it up. He just left Abram with whatever he could find on that land. And Abram didn't grumble and complain. Or at least the verses I read didn't indicate that he did. He just smiles, went on his merry way, and lived his life.

To me that is an act of faith. The human part of me would have been more like Lot, I am afraid. I would have been looking at this land that looks very conducive to plant growth then looking at my more barren land saying, "Now what am I going to do? How can I do anything with this? Why did my nephew Lot leave me with this after all I have done for him?"

What impressed me even more was that a little while later, dear nephew Lot got into a little trouble. Or rather was kidnapped while living in a very evil land. Abram could have easily held up his hand ("Talk to the hand" kind of stance) and say, "You know, you left me with the barren land. Forget you."

But no.

Abram is a better man than me.

Instead he risks his life to save his selfish nephew. He chases after these kidnappers and gets his nephew back. He fights the men who are responsible for taking Lot. And he wins.

Wow.

What I have to wonder is how Lot felt. Did he feel ashamed? Relieved? Did he just expect that his dear uncle would do this? Or did he look at Abram as his rescuer?

I don't know the answers. Just wondering aloud.

Tomorrow's reading:
Genesis 15-17

Oh goodness. Three chapters!

More later,
Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment