Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 3: The Fall

Genesis 2:4-3:24

Now that I am a parent, I completely understand (well, partially...I obviously cannot think like God) what God must have thought.

He was THE perfect parent. Literally perfect. He gave this amazing garden to his people. They had everything they needed right there.

And yet it wasn't enough.

So what happened? A sly serpent came along, lured Eve to try a fruit from the Tree of of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, who then persuaded her main man to try a bite. And then life wasn't the same.

I remember when Hunter was a baby. He was near perfect in our eyes, other than not being a very good sleeper. I still remember around the time he was 7 months. He discovered our fireplace. He discovered the tiny rocks in the fireplace. And he thought they were fun. We, being parents and all, told him firmly "No" as we pulled him away from it. We knew that it wasn't something he needed to play with.

Guess what that little guy did? Looked at us with a set jaw then went right back to the fireplace and played with the rocks again.

Even now, Joshua LOVES to push boundaries (he is almost four). I will tell him not to touch something and he will get his finger as close as he can without "technically" touching it. At least until his hand slips.

Meanwhile, we as parent shake our heads in wonder...why don't they just listen to us?

I am pretty sure God has shaken His head a time or two.

Like when He was walking in the garden. (What might that have been like?)

And He called to His children...only to find out they had tried to cover up their bodies after having their eyes opened (powerful fruit). Of course, He knew that already. (As a parent, I can say I often know before anyone steps forward with the truth.)

I am sure by His reaction, He was unhappy. He doled out the consequences. He really chastised his people.

Then...and this is my favorite part...He made clothes for the man and the woman from animal skins. And He dressed them.

Wait? I thought he was angry with them. They had disobeyed Him. He just punished them in various ways. Yet He still made clothes and dressed them.

Unconditional love.

That is what it is.

That is the God I want to serve!

Tomorrow's reading (as in Wednesday): Genesis 4:1-5:32.

More later,
Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment