Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Week 20 Day 4 Facing the Giant

I Samuel 17
This is a time I wish I had a study Bible.

In the last chapter, David played music for Saul.

In this chapter, Saul doesn't know who he is.  Or at least doesn't seem to know.

When did all of this happen?

Unfortunately, I don't know.

I did research a little and there are different theories. Were the verses actually in chronological order?  Had Saul just not seen David in a while and didn't recognize him? Was he jealous?

I guess only God knows that.

Anyway, this is the famous David and Goliath story.

I alternate between singing the kid's song "Only a boy named David..." and hearing the Veggietale version in my head.  

So... the Philistines and the Israelites are at battle.

The Philistines are on one hill, the Israelites are on another.  There is a valley between them.

Each day this giant Philistine named Goliath comes out to taunt the Israelites.

And the Israelites answer by...doing nothing.

Not a thing.

David comes to the Israelite camp one day bringing food for his brothers.

He witnesses the taunting.

And he is appalled.

Why would the Israelites just stand there and let this man taunt not only them but their God?

One of David's big brothers gets annoyed.  Really annoyed.

I can't help but laugh because I can SO see my own kids doing this.

"What are you doing here???  You are just being nosy.  Go home. You are too little to be here."

Okay, his brother doesn't really say that but he says something kind of like that.

And David is the typical "little brother". 

"What? I can't just talk to people?  What is your problem?"

I can so hear these exchanges going on.  Daily.  In my house.

Finally David decides to quit talking.

He goes to Saul and offers to face the giant.

I wonder what Saul thought.  Here is this young guy standing in front of him. He can't even wear the battle gear; it is too much for him.  And he is the one offering to face the giant?

David takes off the battle gear. He gets back in his regular clothes, grabs a few stones, and confidently heads to the valley.  Why confidently?  Because he knows HIS God is with him.

Goliath makes his feelings about David completely known.  He laughs.  He scoffs. He taunts some more.

And then "bam".

David hits him in the head with a stone from a nearby stream.

And down Goliath goes. Dead as a doornail.

Once again, God triumphs.

He always does.

Reba
Tomorrow's reading:  I Samuel 18-20

No comments:

Post a Comment