Friday, June 17, 2011

Week 12 Day 4 Blessed Beyond Measure

Deuteronomy 6 and 7
I started this post a couple of days ago and just never finished it. It is a very convicting reading to me as a parent which may be behind my reluctance to type it out. After all, by typing it, I am acknowledging it for what it is...God's commands to me as a parent that I should be following daily. Ouch.

In these two chapters, Moses was reviewing for the people what God had told him. He reminded the people that when they came into the Promised Land, God would help drive the others who lived there away. However, the Israelites were under strict orders to NOT mix/mingle with these people. And really, the reasons he gives are the same things we tell our children. If you start hanging out with the wrong people or people who don't believe like you do (not in regular life as much as on a daily basis), you will slowly mix your worlds and your morals.

Three parts that stood out to me.

One, God told the Israelites they weren't "chosen" because they were such a large group of people. He chose them because He loved them and He wanted to keep His promises to their ancestors.

Another part that really got my heart was that God told the Israelites that if they would obey His commands, He would bless them. How? With children for one thing. He even went as far as to say EVERY husband and wife would have children. I joke on occasion about how difficult parenthood is. And it honestly is at times. But I needed that reminder about what a blessing children are even on those tough days I am pulling my hair out. God told the Israelites He would bless their obedience with land and herds and children. Children are a blessing.

But the part that convicts me the most? Knowing God's commands and sharing them with my children. I am supposed to teach them when I am out, when we are home, from morning to night. We should know them so well, they are part of who we are. I do talk about God and many of God's commands as things come up. But I don't feel like I have been diligent enough about sharing His word with my kids. Something I need to work on.

Okay, I really hope to get back into the swing of things tomorrow and get back on track!

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment