Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Week 21 Day 3 Calling on the Spirits

I Samuel 28

The fighting never ends.

The Philistines are ready to attack Israel.  Again.

But this time, they have David on their side.

And Saul knows.

He knows he is in trouble.

So he calls on God...the same God he has rejected over and over again.

The God who doesn't respond.

And Saul is desperate.

I am pretty sure it is safe to say he is not in his right mind.

In his moment of weakness, Saul seeks a medium to foresee the future for him.

The only problem is that he has forced all of the mediums and fortune-tellers from the land.

Ironically, in spite of that, Saul's men know where to find one.

Saul puts on a disguise and goes to visit her in the darkness of night.

The woman is suspicious but finally does what Saul asks.

She brings up the spirit of Samuel.

I find all of this interesting. I see "fortune teller" advertisements around town. I hear people say in astonishment, "That person really knew me and my past..."

And from what I read here, that is possible.

This story doesn't indicate that all fortune tellers or mediums are false.  Or that spirits can't be disturbed.  Samuel's was.

What it does indicate though is that it is not God-endorsed.  Not God-approved.  Not God-driven.

Our faith and hope should be in God.  Alone.

Not in people.

I like how Samuel asks, "Why have you disturbed me?"

Not, "Wow, Saul, so good to see you again!"

Saul and Samuel have an entire conversation.

And not a pretty one.

Saul and his sons are going to fall.

I will admit, I am a little confused by the statement "Tomorrow you and your sons will be with me."

Does that mean Samuel is not in heaven? Or that Saul (in spite of all of his errors) is? Or just that they would all be spirits (no longer alive)?

After reading a few different commentaries, there are no clear answers. Some say that Samuel is actually Samuel.  Some say he was an evil spirit conjured up by Satan. 

We just don't know. 

Either way, Saul learns his fate.

His time on earth is short.

And he knows it.

Reba

Tomorrow's reading:

I Samuel 29




No comments:

Post a Comment