Monday, March 26, 2012

Week 17 Day 6 Sweet as Honey

Judges 14

I have to admit. I was a bit horrified when I first read about Samson's marriage.

Samson is running around town. He happens upon a Philistine woman.

He goes home and tells his parents he MUST have her. In fact, he pretty much demands that they get her for him.

They tried steering him a different way.

But he insisted he wanted her, only her.

And they fell for it.

As a mom, this horrifies me.

In fact, I was reminded of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". You know, that scene with Bianca (I think that is her name) who wants everything and demands her father give her everything. Her demise is when she insists on grabbing a golden egg (or was it a chicken) and got more than she bargained for.

That is what I thought of when I read about Samson.

However, before I got too incensed, I noticed one little part of the story I hadn't noticed before.

The LORD wanted this to happen.

Really?

Wanted it to.

It was part of His plan.

I don't know if this is necessarily the way He would have chosen for it to play out.

But ultimately, it was still part of His plan.

The other main thing I learned while reading this passage is that Samson is a strong man (he tore a lion limb to limb with his bare hands), but he is weak in many ways.

Especially when it comes to women.

And that is the downfall he deal with his whole life.

Tomorrow's reading:
Judges 15-16

Reba
PS The sweet as honey title refers to the riddle that Samson told his wife's people, teasing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment