Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Week 17 Day 2 To Dew or Not to Dew

Judges 6 and 7

I really did get up early Monday to read my passage. And I did read. I just didn't get to the posting part. Then yesterday...well, I am not sure about yesterday other than it was a tough day all around.

Anyway, on to the passage.

I am sure by now you know the routine.

The Israelites (once again) started doing the wrong thing.

So for 7 years there was misery.

God allowed the Midianites to kind of take over the land.

Here the Israelites had had it all. The run of the land. Cattle. Crops.

Now they were hiding in caves, starving.

So 7 years later, here they are again. Calling out for help.

And God listened.

I have to admit, I find myself thinking, "Why did God listen?" Again? But thankfully He did. And thankfully He still does. Even when I find myself struggling with the same sins seven years later...

God not only listened but He answered.

Gideon.

Even Gideon was surprised to be the answer.

"Me, God? You really want to use me? I am not important!"

But God insisted that was who He wanted to use.

The funny thing is that Gideon struggled with this for quite a while. He kept asking God to "prove" it. Like putting the wool out in the dew. The next morning, Gideon gets up and checks the wool. It is soaking wet. Yet the ground is dry.

But typical human he is, Gideon isn't satisfied.

He insists that God show Himself again.

So the next morning, Gideon runs out to check the wool. This time it is dry, yet the ground is wet.

Sometimes we think of God as a God quick to judge, quick to condemn.

But in moments like this, I find that He is a God of patience. A God of love. A God who cares.

The fun part for Gideon is that God has him prove himself over and over.

The Israelites are all prepared to go to war, to claim a victory, to get rid of the evil around them.

But God has Gideon pare down the troops with a variety of "challenges" or "tests".

Until only 300 men are left.

I have to give Gideon credit.

He could have balked at that number. Only 300? How could that possibly work?

But once he knew for sure God was serious, He didn't waver (as far as I could tell).

And once again, God was victorious. The Israelites (through God) prevailed.

They defeated the Midianites.

Tomorrow's reading:
Judges 8 and 9

No comments:

Post a Comment